On the Trail of the RFK Murder – Consortiumnews

Investigative reporter and author Dan Moldea began 27 years ago believing two gunmen were involved in RFK’s murder but his pursuit of the case led him to a different conclusion, which we republish here in the ongoing debate on the killing. 

By Dan Moldea

Late one night in January 1991, I got a call informing me that a close friend, researcher Greg Stone, had committed suicide. Because I had talked to Stone, who seemed fine, earlier that day, the news seemed impossible to believe. Five days later, after I returned home from his funeral, I received a signed note from Stone in the mail that simply said, “Sorry about this, Dan. Stay a survivor.”

Stone and I had met during the summer of 1985 while I was living in Los Angeles, working on a book. A long-time aide to Allard Lowenstein, the former New York congressman who had been murdered in 1980, Stone had been trying to reopen the investigation of the murder of Sen. Robert F. Kennedy. Because of my background as an organized crime investigator, Stone wanted me to get involved in the case.

Kennedy had been shot and mortally wounded in the early morning of June 5, 1968, in the Ambassador Hotel in Los Angeles. Just moments earlier, the 42-year-old Kennedy had left a celebration in the wake of winning the California Democratic presidential primary. No fewer than 77 people were crowded in the narrow kitchen pantry when 24-year-old Palestinian immigrant Sirhan Bishara Sirhan, using an eight-shot .22 caliber revolver, opened fire. Kennedy was shot three times and died early the following day. Five other people were each shot once but all survived.

At our 1985 meeting, Stone explained that evidence of a possible second gunman was based, in part, on an official FBI report that indicated more shots had been fired than Sirhan’s gun could hold.

In addition, Kennedy’s wounds, according to a thorough autopsy, came from shots fired at point-blank range — six inches or less. However, not a single eyewitness saw the muzzle of the shooter’s gun get anywhere near that close.

Also, a court-appointed firearms panel that had refired the murder weapon seven years after the shooting could not match the intact…

Read more