by Stephen Lendman
(RINF) – It bears repeating what other articles stressed. Yemen is Obama’s war – another atrocity on his rap sheet affecting an entire country and its 25 million people in dire need of humanitarian aid to survive.
Saudis and rogue regional allies are convenient US proxies – carrying out orders from Washington. They’d never attack another Arab country without America’s OK, urging and support.
Washington and Riyadh imposed air and sea blockade on Yemen – a blatantly illegal act on top of US planned and orchestrated naked aggression against an independent country posing no threat to others.
Russia called for an immediate ceasefire, an urgency to address humanitarian crisis conditions and dialogue among all sides to end fighting.
During a Friday emergency closed-door Security Council session on Yemen it called, Washington blocked its initiative.
Obama launched war. He deplores peace. He wants conflict escalated.
He wants blockade conditions maintained. He wants Yemenis starved to death or perishing from untreated wounds.
He wants no consideration whatever given to addressing essential to life humanitarian needs.
Russian envoy Vitaly Churkin expressed frustration saying “(t)his really shows an amazing lack of understanding of how things are evolving.”
“If you can’t agree to a (responsible) motherhood and apple pie statement, what can you agree on?”
Churkin pointed fingers at Washington adding:
“Clearly, they need to feel their responsibility since they are supporting the bombing of the coalition, the responsibility of the humanitarian consequences.”
Saudi-led airstrikes and blockade are lawless. No Security Council resolution authorized them.
“It is very clear from resolution 2216 that it did not authorize the use of military force,” Churkin explained.
“Some colleagues were saying that the Saudi-led coalition is trying to make sure that resolution 2216 is implemented. This is not the case. Their action is completely outside the resolution.”
Among other provisions, it banned supplying Houthis with weapons. It did nothing to stop Washington and Riyadh from arming forces fighting them – including thousands Saudi recruited takfiri terrorists.
On Thursday, an ineffective UN statement without teeth “call(ed) on all parties to ensure that humanitarian agencies and their partners have safe and reliable access to bring aid workers and supplies into Yemen and to deliver aid to millions of people in need.”
“All airports are closed to civilian traffic – some have come under direct attack – and naval shipments are being delayed.”
“Yemen’s health, water and sanitation systems and telecommunications services are on the brink of collapse.”
Yemen faces an acute shortage of food, clean water, medical supplies and other essentials to life.
US-initiated/Saudi-led aggression bears full responsibility. In mid-April, the UN Food and Agriculture Organization (FAO) said food reserves in Yemen were fast running out. Millions of Yemenis face possible starvation.
The ICRC reported an alarming shortage of virtually everything needed to sustain life.
Its surgical team had to abandon Aden’s Al Jamhouria hospital when Saudis terror-bombed it. ICRC’s Cedric Scheizer issued a statement saying:
“We are shocked by the lack of respect for the hospital, as a neutral health facility, by the fighting parties.”
“Under no circumstances should this be happening, and under no circumstances should hospitals be targeted or used for fighting purposes.”
“Our team had been working in that hospital for three weeks but, after all the patients and staff were put at risk, the hospital had to be vacated.”
Washington supplies Riyadh with targets to strike. They include hospitals, residential neighborhoods, schools, mosques, power facilities, food storage areas and civilian infrastructure – blatant illegal acts.
Sanaa’s Al Kuwait Hospital administrator Issa Alzugh said “(w)e are facing tremendous logistical difficulties in trying to keep this hospital working.”
“We are running out of diesel. Our ambulances can no longer transport patients. Only half of our staff can come to work as the hospital buses have stopped running.”
Dr. Zine El Abidine said severe shortages of lifesaving supplies are crippling operations.
An entire country is on the brink of collapse. Appalling human suffering affects millions.
On Friday, thousands of Yemenis protested in Sanaa. They chanted anti-US/Saudi/Israeli slogans.
Women, children and elderly participants addressed the huge crowd. It was the second mass protest since mid-April – organized by Yemen’s Supreme Revolutionary Council.
On Friday, Saudis terror-bombed an area 200 meters from Russia’s Sanaa embassy – perhaps a shot across the bow. Its diplomats remain in Sanaa.
Its embassy is official Russian territory. Saudis perhaps sent a message indicating a future strike won’t miss.
White House press secretary Josh Earnest reiterated Washington’s full support for Saudi terror-bombing.
Claiming Riyadh is “reacting to legitimate concerns…about the security situation along their border” is a brazen Big Lie.
US-planned, sponsored and orchestrated naked aggression continues – endless war against 25 million Yemenis, genocide by any standard.
Stephen Lendman lives in Chicago. He can be reached at email@example.com.
His new book as editor and contributor is titled “Flashpoint in Ukraine: US Drive for Hegemony Risks WW III.”
Visit his blog site at sjlendman.blogspot.com.
Listen to cutting-edge discussions with distinguished guests on the Progressive Radio News Hour on the Progressive Radio Network.
It airs three times weekly: live on Sundays at 1PM Central time plus two prerecorded archived programs.