One of the really weird ironies of politics these days is the huge divergence between what the US people actually want and what the radical right-wingers in Washington actually do.
You won’t hear this on “Fox So-Called News,” but right now the US people are as progressive as they ever have been.
Don’t believe me? Just check the polls.
The Progressive Change Institute recently asked likely 2016 voters about their views on a bunch of big issues, and it turns out that everyday citizens overwhelmingly support some of the most liberal policies around.
- 71 percent of the US public supports giving all students access to a debt-free college education.
- 70 percent support expanding Social Security.
- 71 percent support a massive infrastructure spending program aimed at rebuilding out broken roads and bridges and putting people back to work.
- 59 percent support raising taxes on the wealthy so that millionaires pay the same amount in taxes as they did during the Reagan administration.
- 77 percent support giving every US child free pre-K education.
And the list goes on.