The United States says it has transferred a Yemeni inmate from the American military prison in Guantanamo Bay, Cuba to Italy, after holding the inmate for over 14 years without trial.
The transfer on Sunday of Fayiz Ahmad Yahia Suleiman brings the number of detainees at the US detention camp in Cuba to 78.
The Saudi-born Yemeni inmate’s transfer had been approved six years ago by six US agencies.
“The United States is very grateful to the Government of Italy for its continued assistance in closing the detention facility at Guantanamo Bay,” said Lee Wolosky, the US special envoy for Guantanamo’s closure, describing the effort to shut the prison as a “shared goal.”
Suleiman was arrested by Pakistani authorities and transferred to US custody in 2001, meaning he had been in American detention for 14 and a half years.
Most of the 78 prisoners who remain at Guantanamo have been held without charge or trial for more than a decade, attracting international…