As demands intensify for the US government to cease its “dangerous” and anti-democratic meddling in the internal affairs of Venezuela, President Donald Trump on Sunday morning said that sending US troops to the politically fractured Latin American nation is “an option” he continues to consider.
“Certainly, it’s something that’s on the—it’s an option,” Trump said during an interview with CBS’s “Face The Nation” with Margaret Brennan.
Asked by Brennan what he sees as the national security interest of sending troops or helping overthrow Venezuela’s elected president Nicolas Maduro would be, the president didn’t provide an answer. “Well I don’t want to say that,” said Trump. The president did say that Maduro requested a meeting at some point last year, but that the request was turned down.
Trump is not the only one threatening the Maduro government. On Saturday, Vice President Mike Pence said, “Maduro would do well not to test the resolve of the United States of America.” Sen. Marco Rubio (R-Fla.), one of the leading members of Congress working for regime change in Venezuela, has been openly encouraging members of the nation’s opposition—as well as members of the armed forces—to rise up in violence against the government. As journalist and media critic Adam Johnson noted, the corporate media in the US has continued to uncritically endorse this behavior with their coverage:
a major republican senator is openly calling for a military coup in Latin America and MSNBC, CNN, NYT et al are offering no pushback whatsoever, instead providing the marketing collateral for this narrative with a one-dimensional Evil Dictator narrative. https://t.co/gB6SjEQcJw
— Adam H. Johnson (@adamjohnsonNYC) February 3, 2019
Meanwhile, anti-war voices—even those who believe Maduro’s government is deeply problematic—are continuing to call for a negotiated settlement to…