US Secretary of State Mike Pompeo has said that Washington will continue to work closely with Israel over Syria and Iran, despite President Donald Trump’s announcement of withdrawing American troops from Syria.
Pompeo made the remarks as he met with Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu in the Brazilian capital Brasilia on Tuesday.
The top US diplomat said President Trump’s announcement of pulling out troops from Syria “in no way changes anything that this administration is working on alongside Israel.”
“The counter-ISIS (Daesh) campaign continues, our efforts to counter Iranian aggression continue and our commitment to Middle East stability and the protection of Israel continues in the same way it did before that decision was made,” he said.
Trump announced his decision to withdraw the US troops from Syria on December 19, saying that Daesh had been defeated. The next day Trump proclaimed that US troops cannot stay in Syria…