PressTV-China surprised by Washington’s new trade statement

China has expressed surprise at a new statement from the United States indicating that Washington will go on with imposing trade restrictions on China despite a general consensus reached between the two countries earlier this month.

China’s Commerce Ministry said in a statement on Tuesday that the general expectation in Beijing was that the US should stick to the spirit of a recent joint statement that outlined the two countries’ determination to work to decrease trade imbalances.

The ministry said China had the confidence, ability and experience to safeguard its core interests if the US was to enforce trade sanctions announced in March.

The White House said in a statement on Tuesday that the planned trade sanctions against China were still in the works despite a recent announcement by Treasury Secretary Steven Mnuchin who had said tariffs on Chinese goods were “on hold”.

The US statement said restrictions on Chinese investment,…

Read more