British airstrikes could recommence over Libya just four years after the fall of Colonel Muammar Gaddafi as a British-sponsored UN resolution looks likely to win approval.
If passed, the resolution would permit more active military support to Libyan authorities, which are now operating with greater unity after the country’s two opposing governments reached a deal.
While the resolution’s main significance is to endorse and legitimize the new unity government, it would also pave the way for military action.
While the UK had already said it would send up to 1,000 troops and a Special Forces team, the Royal Air Force (RAF) would be in action much sooner.
Libyan ambassador to the UN Ibrahim al-Dabashi told the Asharq Al-Awsat newspaper he expected airstrikes soon involving the “United States, Britain, France and Italy.”
Of the resolution itself, he said: “[It] asks all countries to fight terrorism in Libya, which represents a clear-cut authorization only requiring of different countries to inform the government in Libya in advance, and coordinate with it.”
Libya has been in disarray since Western-backed forces removed Gaddafi in 2011. The ensuing chaos has given rise of a number of extremist groups including Islamic State (IS, formerly ISIS/ISIL).
The UK has said it will not commit ground forces in a combat role and any troops deployed will be there to train local forces.
On December 8, RT spoke to a Libya veteran who served with the RAF in the 2011 campaign.
Daniel Lenham, who served as a bomb loader during the Libyan war, threw his medals on the pavement outside Downing Street in protest against Parliament’s decision to attack Syria. As he loaded up Typhoon jets for their sorties in 2011, Lenham found himself wondering “what is this bomb going to achieve?”
This piece was reprinted by RINF Alternative News with permission or license.