US-led strike kills 22 in Afghanistan

At least 22 people have been killed when a US-led assassination drone carried out an attack in Afghanistan™s northeastern province of Kunar, Press TV reports.

Mohammad Haroon Yousafzai, a spokesman for the Afghan National Army, said the attack took place in the Manoogi district of the province, located about 200 kilometers (124 miles) east of Kabul, on Saturday.

He identified the victims as Taliban gunmen, noting that four senior militant commanders were among the casualties.

Earlier in the day, a senior Taliban commander was killed when US-led foreign forces conducted an airstrike in Afghanistan™s southern province of Helmand.

Omar Zwak, spokesman for the provincial governor, said the attack took place in the Marjah district of the province.

He identified the slain Taliban commander as Mullah Khan Mohammad, adding that his comrade sustained serious injuries in the airborne assault.

Hundreds of civilians have been killed in the US-led airstrikes and ground operations in various parts of Afghanistan over the past years.

The US claims that its operations target militants, but local officials and witnesses maintain that civilians have been the main victims of the attacks.

Civilian casualties have long been a source of friction between the Afghan government and US-led forces, and have dramatically increased anti-US sentiments in the war-torn country.

The United States and its allies invaded Afghanistan in October 2001 as part of Washington™s so-called war on terror.

The offensive removed the Taliban from power, but insecurity continues to rise across the country, despite the presence of thousands of US-led troops.

AZA/MP/SS

Copyright: Press TV