US-led airstrike kills 41 in Afghanistan

Villagers search for dead bodies after a US-led airstrike on a home in Sajawand, Afghanistanâ„¢s Logar Province. (File photo)

Over 40 people have been killed in a US-led airstrike in Afghanistanâ„¢s western province of Nimruz, Press TV reports.

Afghan officials said the deadly attack was carried out in Chahar Burjak District on Wednesday.

Mohammad Sarwar Subat, the Nimruz provincial governor said that major Taliban commanders were among the 41 victims.

Neither the US military nor NATO has confirmed the attack so far.

A series of US airstrikes claimed the lives of more than 80 people and severely injured several others in different regions of Afghanistan on July 30.

The airstrikes have already been a bone of contention between Washington and Kabul.

The US military claims the airstrikes only target Taliban militants. However, according to Afghan sources, many civilians have lost their lives in such attacks.

The United States and its allies invaded Afghanistan in 2001 as part of Washingtonâ„¢s so-called war on terror. The offensive removed the Taliban from power, but insecurity remains in the country.

AZA/DB/HSN

Republished from: Press TV