US Army sergeant behind Afghanistan atrocity makes bid to avoid execution

The American soldier behind one of the worst atrocities during the war in Afghanistan, which resulted in the deaths of 16 villagers during a nighttime rampage, has agreed to plead guilty in a deal designed to avoid the death penalty.

Staff Sgt. Robert Bales was charged with 16 counts of
premeditated murder and six counts of attempted murder for an
attack on two villages in Kandahar Province in March of 2012.
Among the victims were nine children.

John Henry Browne, an attorney representing Bales, announced on
Wednesday that his client had agreed to plead guilty in order to
avoid a death sentence. According to the AP, the sentencing phase
of the trail is currently set for September, and assuming that
the judge overseeing the trial as well as the commanding general
of the base where he is being held approve the plea deal, Bales
would then face life in prison.

“The judge will be asking
questions of Sgt. Bales about what he did, what he remembers and
his state of mind,”
Browne said.

“The deal that has been worked
out … is they take the death penalty off the table, and he
pleads as charged, pretty much,”
he added.

The March 2012 incident, during which Bales slipped away from his
southern Afghanistan posting at Camp Belambay armed with an M-4
rifle outfitted with a grenade launcher, incited angry protests
so serious that the US temporarily halted combat operations.

This August 23, 2011 photograph obtained courtesy of the Defense Video & Imagery Distribution System (DVIDS) shows Staff Sgt. Robert Bales (L) at the National Training Center in Fort Irwin, California (AFP Photo / DVIDS / Spc. Ryan Hallock)

Bales was serving in his fourth combat zone, and although he had
allegedly been drinking, snorting Valium and taking steroids just
before the attack his defense team determined that he would not
be able to plead insanity following a psychiatric evaluation.

Though Army prosecutors initially sought the death penalty
against Bales, the ongoing controversy over the toll that
back-to-back deployments was taking on army personnel was thought
to make that outcome unlikely. As the AP also reports, the
American military justice system has not executed anyone since
1961.

Relatives of the massacre victims interviewed in April were
incensed at the notion that Bales might avoid a death sentence.

“For this one thing, we would
kill 100 American soldiers,”
said Mohammed Wazir to the
AP, who had 11 family members killed in the raid, including his
mother and 2-year-old daughter.

“A prison sentence doesn’t mean
anything,”
said Said Jan, whose wife and three other
relatives were murdered.

“I know we have no power now.
But I will become stronger, and if he does not hang, I will have
my revenge,”
he told the AP.

An Army spokeswoman at Joint Base Lewis-McChord, where Bales is
currently being held, did not return a call seeking comment
Wednesday following news of the potential plea deal.

One of Bale’s lawyers, Emma Scanlan, said via email that he would
plead guilty to premeditated murder charges, and will then stand
before a military jury to determine whether his life term in
prison might include the possibility of parole, assuming the deal
is approved.

Browne, who previously indicated Bales remembered little from the
night of the massacre, has indicated that his client is prepared
to provide a full account of the incident before the judge
determines whether to accept the new plea deal.

This article originally appeared on: RT