Seven die in Afghanistan bomb attack

Afghan policemen are seen in the capital, Kabul, June 10, 2013.

Seven people including a police officer have been killed in a bomb explosion carried out in Afghanistanâ„¢s southern province of Zabul, Press TV reports.

The Zabul provincial council was targeted on Monday.

Our correspondent says several people were injured in the bombing.

No group has claimed responsibility for the attack, but Afghan officials often blame the Taliban militant group for such deadly attacks.

The militant group said in April that it had begun its Ëœspring offensiveâ„¢ against the US-led foreign forces and Afghan troops in the country.

On June 8, local officials in the northern province of Balkh said an Afghan civilian had been shot and killed by a group of US forces. Several others were also wounded.

The United States and its allies invaded Afghanistan in 2001 as part of the so-called war on terror. The offensive removed the Taliban from power, but insecurity remains across the country.

The chief of the Afghan Independent Human Rights Commission (AIHRC), Sima Samar, has voiced concern over the recent surge in violence against civilians across Afghanistan.

The AIHRC chief said deadly attacks had killed at least 366 people in Afghanistan in the first two months of 2013.

DB/HSN

This article originally appeared on: Press TV