People look at the scene of a blast at the Egyptian Consulate building in Benghazi on Aug. 17, 2013.
Egypt’s consul in the Libyan capital city of Tripoli has been injured in an attack by a group of unknown gunmen, the Egyptian Embassy says.
The Egyptian Embassy in Tripoli announced on Monday that the armed men forced the consul out of his car at gunpoint in the Andalus district.
The Egyptian diplomat was robbed of his car and slightly injured. He was later admitted to hospital for treatment for bruises and other injuries. The embassy says Libyan security forces later found the car in another area of the city.
Last week, the Egyptian deputy ambassador in Tripoli was also attacked by unknown assailants outside a popular hotel in the capital.
Egypt’s diplomatic mission in Libya has been attacked several times since the overthrow of former Egyptian president, Mohamed Morsi, in July.
On August 17, a bomb went off near the Egyptian Consulate in the eastern Libyan city of Benghazi, causing damage to the building.
The blast caused part of the outer wall of the building to collapse and damaged cars parked outside the mission.
Libyan and Egyptian nationals living in Tripoli demonstrated in the capitalâ„¢s Algeria Square on August 16, in support of the Muslim Brotherhood and the ousted Egyptian president.
Republished from: Press TV