5 killed in Afghanistan bomb attacks

File photo shows Afghan officials and bystanders standing at the site of a roadside bomb blast in Ghazni province.

Five Afghan civilians have been killed and several others wounded in two separate roadside bomb attacks across Afghanistan, Press TV reports.

According to local officials, two civilians were killed in the southern Afghan province of Uruzgan after their minibus was struck by a roadside bomb on Saturday morning.

Earlier in the day, three civilians were killed and nine others, including women and children, wounded in a similar incident in the country’s eastern province of Ghazni.

A senior police officer in the eastern province said the incident took place when the victims™ vehicle ran over and detonated a roadside bomb in Deh Yak district of Ghazni.

Two of the injured are reported to be in critical condition.

No group has so far claimed responsibility for the bombings.

Improvised explosive devices (IEDs), including roadside bombs, are by far the most lethal weapons Taliban militants use against Afghan forces, foreign troops, and civilians.

The United States and its allies invaded Afghanistan as part of the so-called war on terror. The offensive removed the Taliban from power, but the country is still gripped by insecurity.

In late April, the Taliban announced the start of their annual offensive against US-led and Afghan forces, vowing a new wave of attacks across Afghanistan.

The militant group said it would use “every possible tactic” to inflict casualties on Afghan and US-led forces, specifically mentioning insider attacks and bomb attacks.

The announcement prompted the Afghan authorities to beef up security in major cities across the country, including Kabul.

AZA/MR/HN

Copyright: Press TV