1. Reporter by Seymour Hersh (Random House).
2. Loaded: a Disarming History of the Second Amendment by Roxanne Dunbar-Ortiz (City Lights).
3. Surveillance Valley: the Secret Military History of the Internet by Yasha Levine (Public Affairs).
4. Heartland: a Memoir of Working Hard and Being Broke in the Richest Country on Earth by Sarah Smarsh (Scribner).
5. The Tangled Tree: a Radical New History of Life by David Quammen (Simon & Schuster).
6. Iran: A Modern History by Abbas Amanat (Yale).
7. Rise and Kill First: the Secret History of Israel’s Targeted Assassinations by Ronen Bergman, translated by Ronnie Hope (Random House).
8. Chernobyl: History of a Tragedy by Serhii Plokhy (Basic Books).
9. The Overstory by Richard Powers (Norton).
10. Space Odyssey: Stanley Kubrick, Arthur C. Clarke, and the Making of a Masterpiece by Michael Benson (Simon & Schuster).
11. The Cadaver King and the Country Dentist by Radley Balko and Tucker Carrington (Public Affairs).
12. The Wisdom of Wolves: Lessons from the Sawtooth Pack by Jim and Jamie Dutcher (National Geographic).
13. Hiking with Nietzsche: On Becoming Who You Are by John Kaag (FSG).
14. Bullshit Jobs: a Theory by David Graeber (Simon & Schuster).
15. Behold, America: the Entangled History of “America First” and the “American Dream” by Sarah Churchwell (Basic Books).