US Secretary of State Mike Pompeo has abruptly canceled plans to meet a top official from North Korea in New York, throwing stalemated diplomacy over the North’s nuclear weapons into further uncertainty.
The US State Department said in a short statement Wednesday that Pompeo and Kim Yong Chol would meet later “when our respective schedules permit.” It offered no reason for the cancellation.
The talks between the top US diplomat and the North Korean delegation, which had been due on Thursday, “will now take place at a later date,” State Department spokesperson Heather Nauert said.
“We will reconvene when our respective schedules permit,” she added in a statement.
The State Department had just one day earlier confirmed that Pompeo would meet in New York with Kim to discuss progress toward a denuclearization pact and to work to arrange a second summit following landmark talks between President Donald Trump and North Korean leader Kim…