North Korea has removed its top three military officials, a senior US official says, a move that experts think is aimed at jump-starting direct talks with South Korea and the United States.
The unnamed US official’s remarks on Sunday confirmed an earlier report by South Korea’s Yonhap news agency, Reuters reported Monday.
Citing unidentified intelligence sources, Yonhap said North Korean leader Kim Jong-un had chosen No Kwang Chol, first vice minister of the Ministry of People’s Armed Forces, to replace Pak Yong Sik as defense chief, while also replacing the chief of General Staff of the Korean People’s Army (KPA), Ri Myong Su with his deputy, Ri Yong Gil.
North Korea’s state news agency KCNA had announced earlier that Army General Kim Su Gil was replacing Kim Jong Gak as director of the KPA’s General Political Bureau.
Kim says he is committed to a high-stakes summit with US President Donald Trump in Singapore on June 12, the first…