British singer Amy Winehouse (Reuters/Luke MacGregor)
A second inquest has confirmed that late singer Amy Winehouse “died as a result of alcohol toxicity”.
Coroner Shirley Radcliffe ruled Tuesday that singer died of accidental alcohol poisoning after a while of abstinence, AP reports. Radcliffe added that Winehouse, who passed away on July 23, 2011, consumed the alcohol “voluntarily.” No suspicious circumstances were found in her death.
Winehouse was found dead in her house in Camden, London, with her lifeless body surrounded by empty vodka bottles.
The postmortem proved that the Grammy-winning singer had five times the legal driving limit of alcohol in her blood. According to the coroner, such amount of alcohol can prove fatal as it strongly affects the central nervous system. Consuming such an amount of spirits can lead a person to “falling asleep and not waking up.”
The singer’s family did not attend the secong inquest, held after the original coroner was found to lack the proper qualifications for the job.
The first inquest, which also named alcohol abuse as the cause of Winehouse’s death, was held in 2011, shortly after the singer had passed away.
Winehouse rose to fame in 2006 with her best-selling Back to Black album, which earned her five Grammys. However soon she began suffering from serious drug and alcohol addictions, causing her lots of heath and other problems. She struggled against her bad habits for several years.