Palestinian Liberation Organization (PLO) officials have accused the Israeli regime of playing double-standards following Tel Aviv’s plans for the expansion of settlements in East al-Quds (Jerusalem).
The officials said on Monday that the Israelis sit for talks, but at the same time they allocate more funds for the expansion of settlements. They also noted that Israelâ„¢s ethnic cleansing in East al-Quds (Jerusalem) is Å“a direct blow to the so-called talks.”
Moreover, PLO spokeswoman Hanan Ashrawi said the move shows total disregard for the initiatives in the talks.
On Sunday, the Israeli regime approved the construction of 1,500 new illegal settler units in East al-Quds (Jerusalem), despite widespread international criticism of settlements in the occupied Palestinian territories.
The new housing units will expand a settlement known as Ramat Shlomo in the occupied territories to the vicinity of the Palestinian town of Shuâ„¢fat.
Israel and PLO negotiators held the second round of talks in al-Quds (Jerusalem) last week. The first round of direct talks between the two sides was held in Washington last month after a three-year gap.
The last talks, in September 2010, halted over the Tel Aviv regimeâ„¢s expansion of settlements.
The presence and continued expansion of Israeli settlements in occupied Palestine has created a major obstacle for the efforts to establish peace in the Middle East.
More than half a million Israelis live in over 120 illegal settlements built since Israelâ„¢s occupation of the Palestinian territories of the West Bank and East al-Quds in 1967.
The UN and most countries regard the Israeli settlements as illegal because the territories were captured by Israel in a war in 1967 and are hence subject to the Geneva Conventions, which forbids construction on occupied lands.
Republished from: Press TV