Link building is one of the biggest parts of search engine optimization. However, there are certain things that you should and shouldn’t do and sometimes it is hard to know what’s right and what’s wrong. Keep on reading and you will find out what the recommended things you should do are.
1. Links from site to blog – Having a blog is a necessity nowadays and you probably have one. Make sure people can easily access the content of your blog from your website. Don’t make them look for your blogs for hours until they finally get fed up and give up. Put a couple of links and you will make visitors happier.
2. Social networks – Take full advantage of social networks like Facebook and Twitter. It is a good idea to have a fan page of your website in Facebook and put links on your website so people can “like” it. Having a Twitter account and a lot of followers is also a good way to keep people informed about any site updates.
3. Social Bookmarks – Using social bookmarking networks is a great way to spread the word about your website or blog. You can use an add-on for Firefox called AddThis to bookmark different pages faster.
4. Sitemap – A sitemap is one of the most important things you should have from an on-site SEO perspective. This is not only helpful for people but also for search engine crawlers. They will crawl your website much more easily and it is recommended that you have one and you link to it.
5. Long articles – Writing articles for a blog requires you to keep them short and interesting. However, you can write articles for your industry that are long and very educational. It is a good idea to have a section in your website specially made for those articles where people who want to learn more about your industry can educate themselves.
7. Content strategy – Flooding the web with random content isn’t going to do you any good. Create a great content strategy which will include what content you will submit, where you will submit it, how often etc. That way you will achieve better results than just randomly doing things.
These are not all of the things you should know about link buidling but they are some of the most important ones. Keep them in mind and do your on-site and off-site search engine optimization the best way possible.
Lyuben Georgiev works for one of the largest search engine optimization companies (in Denmark, where I work, the people commonly refer to this term as Søgeoptimering firma) in Europe and also shares his knowledge in various blogs including Search Engine Journal.