A new multi-million-pound job search website launched by the Government has been inundated with bogus adverts recruiting for everything from mafia ‘couriers’ to ‘porn chat’ hosts.
Since going live last month, the site has even carried adverts for MI6 assassins.
A number of jobs have had to be taken down from the Universal Jobmatch website and scores of employee accounts blocked since it was launched.
Questionable listings spotted on the site include an advert seeking three ‘international couriers’ for CosaNostra Holdings, and a ‘target elimination specialist’ for MI6.
The ad for CosaNostra – the name of the Sicilian Mafia – said applicants should have ‘their own transport’ and be able to travel to a ‘production hub in Amsterdam to collect high value packages and bring them back to the UK’. It was later removed.
Another listing claimed to be seeking a James Bond-style ‘target elimination specialist’ for the British intelligence service MI6 – which also appeared on on the Department for Work and Pensions’ Jobcentre website – which Universal Jobmatch has replaced.
The spoof recruitment ad appeared on the DirectGov site and stated that the successful applicant should be trained in using sniper rifles, be able to leave foreign countries by non-conventional means and assume new identities.
It added that candidates for the MI6 post should be willing to ‘remove people’ on behalf of the Government and would be equipped with special watches, jet packs and mini-submarines.
It stated the salary was between £50,000 and £60,000 a year – though there would be performance bonuses ‘on completion of missions.’
Other adverts on Universal Jobmatch listed pornographic websites, according to a report in the Guardian newspaper.
It said a job advert had appeared for a female presenter to host ‘internet babe chat’. The ad, which indicated a prospective salary that was a little over the minimum wage, was later taken down.
The website, launched on November 19, has so far cost £17million.
There are also fears jobseekers could fall victim to identity theft, after a group of hackers deliberately highlighted potential security risks on the site.
They told a Channel Four news report they had been able to obtain scores of jobseekers’ passport and national insurance details.
Department of Work and Pensions minister Iain Duncan Smith said 6,000 adverts had been blocked from appearing on the website since its launch.
An MI6 spokesman said at the time of the first fake advert: ‘It is disappointing that somebody would want to post a fake advert when people are looking for real jobs. It has now been removed.’