US President Donald Trump will replace his executive order halting travel from seven mainly Muslim countries “in the near future,” according to the US Justice Department.
A Justice Department court filing on Thursday said Trump’s new order would be “substantially revised” but did not provide details.
The department said a federal appeals court should not reconsider a ruling that suspended Trump’s January 27 order.
“Rather than continuing this litigation, the President intends in the near future to rescind the order and replace it with a new, substantially revised executive order to eliminate what the panel erroneously thought were constitutional concerns,” the Justice Department said in its filing.
“In so doing, the President will clear the way for immediately protecting the country rather than pursuing further, potentially time-consuming litigation,” it added.
Last week, a congressional aide, speaking on the condition of anonymity, told…