The US says there will no change in “bilateral defense posture” with South Korea despite North Korea’s recent diplomatic outreach and its move to rebuild ties with Seoul.
The announcement by the White House came after US President Donald Trump’s new national security adviser John Bolton met with his South Korean counterpart Chung Eui-yong in Washington on Friday.
The two side, it said, discussed the much anticipated meeting between Trump and North Korean leader Kim Jong-un as well as preparations for an official visit to Washington by South Korea’s President Moon Jae-in on May 22.
On Thursday, a New York Times report said Trump was seeking options to reduce the number of American forces based in South Korea, currently put at 28,500 but Bolton angrily dismissed the report as “utter nonsense”.
The issue was first raised earlier in the week by a South Korean…