US President Donald Trump says that he saw “possible progress” after South Korea said North Korea is willing to suspend nuclear tests while talks are under way.
“Possible progress being made in talks with North Korea. For the first time in many years, a serious effort is being made by all parties concerned. The World is watching and waiting! May be false hope, but the US is ready to go hard in either direction!” Trump wrote in a Twitter post on Tuesday.
Earlier on Tuesday, a South Korean envoy said that North Korea would consider abandoning nuclear weapons in exchange for security guarantees.
North Korean leader Kim Jong-un and its South Korean counterpart, Chung Eui-yong, will hold their first summit in more than a decade in late April at the fortified border village of Panmunjom to discuss a range of issues.
Tensions have been high between Washington and Pyongyang over North Korea’s missile and nuclear programs.
Washington claims it…