The top commander of US forces in Afghanistan, General John Nicholson, says time is ripe for peace negotiations with the Taliban, because after years of war, the militants are weary of an impasse in the battlefield.
Nicholson, however, acknowledged that peace talks, which the Taliban definitively rejected just two years ago, likely would take years to bear fruit.
US officials including Defense Secretary James Mattis said this week that some Taliban elements are open to talking with the Afghan government.
Nicholson who commands 14,000 US troops and also oversees NATO operation in the war-ravaged country, said the Taliban have suffered heavy casualties since US President Donald Trump authorized heavy air strikes last year.
“In the Taliban’s mind, they see what is coming and these capabilities are only going to get greater,” Nicholson told reporters on Wednesday accompanying Mattis on a visit to the Bagram Airfield, America’s largest air…