PressTV-North Korea’s ICBM not ‘capable threat’ to US

US Defense Secretary James Mattis says he does not believe that North Korea’s intercontinental ballistic missile (ICBM) could pose an imminent threat to the United States.

Mattis told reporters on Friday that analysis continued on Pyongyang’s most recent missile test, which he sees no threat against America.

“It has not yet shown to be a capable threat against us right now … we’re still doing the forensics analysis,” he said.

Mattis, however, did not clarify what was lacking in Pyongyang’s last month test that was not a “capable threat.”

On November 29, North Korea confirmed it had successfully tested a new type of ICBM called the “Hwasong-15,” that is capable of reaching anywhere in the United States.

Immediately after the launch, Mattis himself said the missile had gone higher than any previous North Korean launch and described it as part of a research and development effort by Pyongyang “to continue building ballistic…

Read more