US President Donald Trump says there is no reason for conducting join military drills with South Korea over ongoing discussions about North Korea’s nuclear program.
“The President believes that his relationship with Kim Jong Un is a very good and warm one, and there is no reason at this time to be spending large amounts of money on joint U.S.-South Korea war games,” the White House said in a statement that Trump himself issued on Twitter on Wednesday. “Besides, the president can instantly start the joint exercises again with South Korea, and Japan, if he so chooses.”
This is while US Defense Secretary James Mattis had announced earlier that there were no plans to cancel future military exercises between Washington and Seoul.
“We have no plans at this time to suspend any more exercises,” Mattis told reporters at the Pentagon on Tuesday.
The White House is meanwhile accusing China stalled efforts to put an end to North Korea’s…