PressTV-Cuba condemns US’s embassy staff cuts

Cuba has condemned the United States’ move to make permanent the withdrawal of 60 percent of the American Embassy staff in Havana over mysterious ailments affecting some diplomats there.

Cuban Foreign Ministry’s newly-appointed director of US affairs, Carlos Fernandez de Cossio, condemned Washington’s decision on Monday, saying that the move was politically motivated and had nothing to do with the safety of American diplomats.

The US State Department made the embassy staff cuts permanent last week. Washington initially reduced the number of its diplomats in Havana last October in response to alleged hearing loss and other ailments affecting at least 24 embassy workers.

De Cossio said the drastic reduction in the number of US Embassy staff would adversely affect consular services and make travel plans more difficult for ordinary citizens.

He said the move could also erode collaboration between the two countries on migration.

The US…

Read more