Post-Brexit Europe may tax Britons to visit EU

British people may have to apply for permission to travel to the European Union after Brexit.

UK Home Secretary Amber Rudd said in an interview with the BBC on Sunday that Britons may need to apply for permission to travel under a US-styled visa waiver scheme being considered by the European commission.

Rudd acknowledged the shock the public would have at the prospect of UK nationals having to pay, saying, “I think they would be surprised. I don’t think it’s particularly desirable, but we don’t rule it out, because we have to be allowed a free hand to get the best negotiations.”

“My reaction to that is it’s a reminder that this is a two-way negotiation. The EU and the commissioners may be considering issues, alternatives. They will be considering their negotiations with us, just as we are with them. But I’m going to make sure that what we do get is in the best interests of the UK,” Rudd added.

UK Home Secretary Amber Rudd on the…

Read more