Mass Grave Near Fallujah; 487 Killed in Iraq
A deputy chairman for the Hashd al-Shaabi reversed an
earlier declaration that Shi’ite militias would storm Fallujah. Abu Mahdi
Muhandis said the militias have completed their role in the operation but
would accept orders to enter Fallujah if asked.
The Iraqi government is launching
an investigation into reports that security forces have been abusing civilians
during the Fallujah operation.
Separately, U.N. Secretary-General Ban Ki-moon condemned the use
of minors as child soldiers by both the Islamic State militants and the
Militants have shot an unknown number of civilians trying to
escape Fallujah. However, about 18,000 from the city and surrounding
towns have reached
At least 487 were killed or found dead, and 14 more were
A mass grave containing about 400
bodies was discovered in the Shuhada neighborhood of recently
liberated Saqlawiya. Many of the victims were Iraqi soldiers believed
executed in 2014 and 2015.
people were killed and seven were wounded in Abu Ghraib.
In Baghdad, a bomb killed
two people and wounded seven more.
militants were killed during an attack on Sinjar.
In Tal Askaf, security forces killed
Dozens of militants were killed
in Albu Hoy.
Read more by Margaret Griffis
- Militias Threaten to Storm Fallujah; 202 Killed in Iraq – June 4th, 2016
- Fighting, Attacks in Iraq Leave 375 Dead – June 3rd, 2016
- Fighting Continues near Fallujah; 254 Killed in Iraq – June 2nd, 2016
- 192 Killed, 139 Wounded in Iraq Battles, Bombings – June 1st, 2016
- At Least 4,237 People, Including Americans, Killed in Iraq During May – May 31st, 2016