March 3, 2017
An Austrian court has found eight Iraqi nationals guilty of gang-raping a German tourist during New Year celebrations in Vienna.
The Iraqi men, aged between 22 and 48, were given prison terms of between nine and 13 years for the attack, which took place in the early hours of 1 January, 2016.
A ninth suspect was cleared of all charges, the court said.
The men had all arrived in Austria as migrants between May and December 2015.
Five had been given asylum status after reaching the European country.
Their victim, a 28-year-old woman whom prosecutors said continues to suffer post-traumatic effects, was awarded €25,000 ($26,300; £22,300) in damages.
This article was posted: Friday, March 3, 2017 at 8:12 am