Last updated: 21:01 GMT
This story is breaking and is being updated as we receive more informationÂ
Another BBC star has allegedly been interviewed under caution by police.
Twitter is buzzing with news that 82 year old BBC children’s TV presenter, Rolf Harris, is the latest to be interviewed by police in an ongoingÂ investigation into a high level pedophile network atÂ the very top of the British establishment.
According toÂ Mark Williams Thomas, a driving force behind an investigation into allegations that TV icon Jimmy Savile had sexually abused vulnerable teenage girls, is now reporting thatÂ Rolf Harris has been interviewed under caution at police station as part of Â the ‘SavileÂ other’ case.
— Mark Williams-Thomas (@mwilliamsthomas) November 29, 2012
If the tweet by Mr Thomas is accurate, it is unclear why Harris has been questioned, however Sky NewsÂ have reported that it is on suspicion of sexual offences after officers searched an address in Berkshire on Saturday.
It is possible that Harris was interviewed as a witness to a criminal act, to help police with their enquiry – he was released without charge.
So far, four people have been arrested so far in relation to alleged sexual offences by Savile and others.
Singer Gary Glitter, comedian Freddie Starr, DJ Dave Lee TravisÂ and another unidentified man in his 70s have been bailed as part of the inquiry.
The news, if true, that Rolf Harris has been questioned by police, has sent shockwaves through social media networks.
HarrisÂ is a well respected and much loved celebrity with strong ties to the British Monarchy.Â He was commissioned to paint a portrait of HM QueenÂ Elizabeth II for her 80th birthday, which was unveiled on 19 December 2005.
During the Diamond Jubilee Concert this year, Rolf Harris described Queen as a ‘living testimony to the power of kindness, dedication, tolerance and loyalty’ and stated “I had the privilege of meeting Her Majesty several times.”
Harris received a CBE from the Princess Royal in 2006, and was also appointed an MBE in 1968 and an OBE in 1977.
The Metropolitan police have over 400Â lines of enquiry afterÂ two weeks of gathering information from both the public and a number of organisations, withÂ over 450 potential victims having been identified.
Operation Yewtree,Â the enquiry into alleged child sexual exploitation by the late Jimmy Savile and others, has moved from an assessment to a formal criminal investigation.
UPDATE: A report byÂ The BBCÂ does not name Harris, but states:
A man in his 80s has been released after being interviewed by detectives investigating allegations which arose following revelations about TV presenter Jimmy Savile.
The man, from Berkshire, attended a London police station by appointment and was interviewed under caution.
Officers from the Metropolitan Police’s Operation Yewtree searched an address in Berkshire on Saturday.
The police said it was part of the inquiry not directly related to Savile.
The man arrived at 12:00 GMT, said the Met, and has now “left police premises”. He has not been charged.