The White House has rejected reports that it has cut off its annual military aid to Egypt over the countryâ„¢s political crisis.
Å“Published reports… that assistance to Egypt has been cut off are not accurate,” White House spokesman Josh Earnest said on Tuesday.
He added that Washington is still reviewing its options after the latest crackdown in the North African country, saying that Obama was convening a meeting with his national security team on Tuesday to discuss Egypt.
Å“I wouldnâ„¢t anticipate any major announcements related to our aid and assistance in the immediate aftermath of this meeting,” Earnest said.
The rejection came after The Daily Beast reported on Monday the US administration has secretly suspended military aid to Egypt.
A spokesman for Sen. Patrick Leahy (D-Vt.), the head of the Appropriations State and Foreign Operations Subcommittee, said that the Obama administration has decided to withhold aid from Egypt.
President Barack Obama has so far refused to describe the military’s removal of Egyptian President Mohamed Morsi as a coup, a declaration that would require ending US aid to Egypt.
In an interview with Press TV, Dr. Kevin Barrett said Washingtonâ„¢s annual aid to Egypt is intended to force the Egyptian military to cooperate with Israel.
Å“Aid to Egypt is actually a disguised aid to Israel because US is essentially paying the Egyptian military junta to do its bidding, and in particular to cooperate with the Zionists and guard the borders of Gaza to starve and blockade the people of Gaza,” Barrett said.
Republished from: Press TV