US Defense Secretary Chuck Hagel has ordered the military to retrain tens of thousands of its service members amid the country™s ongoing sexual-assault crisis.
Hagel said on Tuesday that the US armed forces must œre-train, re-credential and re-screen” tens of thousands of recruiters and sexual-assault prevention officers due to the public™s perception that the military is unable or unwilling to solve the sex-crime scandals.
The politician further criticized the military for endangering its ability to recruit and perform its missions because of the scandalous embarrassments tarring its image.
Many high-ranking US military commanders have recently been convicted and relieved of duties for multiple sexual offenses and corruption over the years.
Also on Tuesday, the Pentagon announced that a sergeant first class who is responsible for handling sexual-assault cases at Fort Hood, Texas has been placed under a criminal investigation over allegations of abusive sexual contact and other related crimes including forcing a subordinate into prostitution.
On May 6, Lieutenant Colonel Jeff Krusinski, director of the sexual assault prevention program for the US Air Force, has himself been detained for sexually assaulting a woman not far from the military headquarters in Arlington, Virginia.
The Pentagon recently reported a 35 percent increase in the number of sexual assault cases in the military – 26,000 American military service members were sexually assaulted in 2012, compared to 19,000 such cases two years before.
About one out of five military women said they had been the victims of unwanted sexual assault by another service member since joining the military, according to a survey conducted in 2011.
The overall rate of sexual assault in the US military may be higher, as many victims fail to report out of fear of vengeance or lack of justice under the military™s system of prosecution, the report added.