The Taliban militants say they have attacked a convoy of US-led forces in Afghanistanâ„¢s western province of Farah and five Italian soldiers have been killed in the assault, Press TV reports.
There are conflicting reports on the casualties of the attack, which was carried out on Monday when a bomber blew up his explosive-laden car near a convoy of the foreign troops in Bala Buluk District.
The International Security Assistance Force (ISAF) has also confirmed the attack, but it says only two Italian soldiers have been wounded.
Meanwhile, locals said two civilians were wounded in the bomb blast.
More than 3,000 Italian troops are stationed in Afghanistan.
On Sunday, a US-led soldier was killed in an attack by militants in eastern Afghanistan.
According to official figures released by the website icasualties.org, a total of 66 US-led troops have been killed in Afghanistan so far in 2013. A total of 402 foreign soldiers were killed in the country last year, but 2010 remains the deadliest year for the casualties, with a death toll of 711.
The United States and its allies invaded Afghanistan in 2001 as part of Washingtonâ„¢s so-called war on terror. The offensive removed the Taliban from power, but insecurity remains across the country despite the presence of thousands of foreign troops.
This article originally appeared on: Press TV