An Overview of the United States National Debt
The Current Outstanding Public Debt of the United States is:
Last Updated: Wednesday, October 2nd, 2013
Every man, woman and child in the United States currently owes $55,092 for their share of the U.S. public debt
Public Debt: $11,976,279,236,073.83
Intragovernmental Holdings: $4,761,904,290,623.49
Total U.S. National Debt: $16,738,183,526,697.32
Question: Who owns the public debt?
Answer: Mutual funds, pension funds, foreign governments, foreign investors, American investors, etc.
Which Foreign governments own the most U.S. debt?
Answer: Here is the Top 10 (as of May/2013)
1. China, Mainland, $1315.9 billion dollars
2. Japan, $1111.0 billion dollars
3. Oil Exporters*, $266.3 billion dollars
4. Brazil, $255.5 billion dollars
5. Carib Bnkng Ctrs**, $253.2 billion dollars
6. All Other, $218.9 billion dollars
7. Taiwan, $189.4 billion dollars
8. Switzerland, $187.0 billion dollars
9. Belgium, $171.0 billion dollars
10. United Kingdom, $155.2 billion dollars
*Includes oil exporting countries such as Saudi Arabia and Iran
**includes countries such as Bermuda and the Cayman Islands
Of the $5.1 trillion dollars of US debt that is owned by foreign governments, China and Japan own nearly half, as evidenced by this chart:
Growth of US Debt Over Past 50 Years
Commonly Asked Questions:
How much Money does the United States Owe China?
A: $1.32 Trillion (May/2013)
How much Money does the United States Owe Japan?
A: $1.11 Trillion (May/2013)
How much Money does the United States Owe Russia?
A: $150.9 Billion (May/2013)
How much Money does the United States Owe the United Kingdom?
A: $155.2 Billion (May/2013)
How much Money does the United States Owe Germany?
A: $62.7 Billion (May/2013)
How much Money does the United States Owe Canada?
A: $59.7 Billion (May/2013)
By: Dave Manuel
Copyright: Global Research