A top Russian official has reiterated Moscow™s opposition to any United Nations Security (UNSC) resolution that would allow a military action against Syria.
œRussia opposes any resolution of the UN Security Council indicating the probability of the use of force [or] any resolution that could be used for military action against Syria,” Russia™s Deputy Foreign Minister Gennady Gatilov said Friday as cited in a report by the ITAR-TASS News Agency.
The remark came following an urgent meeting of UNSC™s five permanent members – Britain, China, France, Russia and the US – ended Thursday without any agreement on the source of a recent chemical weapons use in Syria and a potential plan of action.
During the UN meeting, which was reportedly called by Russia, Britain attempted to win UNSC backing for a military intervention against the Syrian government over Western accusations that it was behind the recent use of chemical weapons in the country.
This is while the Syrian government of Bashar al-Assad has categorically denied the allegation of using chemical arms, insisting that the foreign-backed militants in the country were behind the move.
Gatilov also stated on Thursday that œDeclared plans by some states to inflict a military strike on Syria are an undisguised challenge to the key provisions of the UN Charter and other norms of international law.”
Moscow has expressed strong opposition to any military strike on Syria, with Russian Foreign Minister Sergei Lavrov stating that the move would critically destabilize the region.
The call for military action against Syria intensified after the foreign-backed militants operating inside Syria claimed on August 21 that hundreds had been killed in a government chemical attack on militant strongholds in the Damascus suburbs of Ain Tarma, Zamalka and Jobar.
A number of Western countries, including the United States, France, and the UK, were quick to engage in a major publicity campaign to promote war against Syria despite the fact that Damascus categorically rejected the claim on the use of chemical arms.
Media outlets reported US plans for likely surgical attacks, which would be in the form of œcruise-missile strikes,” and œcould rely on four US destroyers in the Mediterranean [Sea].” The plan was said to be awaiting US President Barack Obama™s go-ahead.
Washington has said it is willing to go ahead with its plans for a strike on Syria even without the approval of the United Nations or the support of its allies.
Republished from: Press TV