EU’s Ashton offers to return to Egypt

European Union foreign policy Chief Catherine Ashton has offered to return to Egypt to help mediate a solution to the crisis in the African country.

Ashton made the remarks in Brussels on Tuesday ahead of an extraordinary meeting of EU foreign ministers to discuss the recent violence in Egypt that left over 900 dead in the last week.

“I have offered to go back. I told the Egyptian prime minister at the weekend that I would be more than willing to go back to Egypt if they wish me to come back,” she said.

The EUâ„¢s top foreign policy official went to Egypt twice last month after the ouster of Egyptâ„¢s former President Mohamed Morsi on July 3.

On July 30, she met Morsi who is detained in a secret location, becoming the first foreign official to meet him.

On her first visit, Ashton and another EU envoy Bernadino Leon tried to facilitate a deal which also included Morsiâ„¢s Muslim Brotherhood.

She held talks with Egyptian authorities including armed forces General Abdel-Fattah al-Sisi, interim President Adly Mansour and senior members of the Muslim Brotherhood.

However, over 10 days of diplomatic efforts by the EU, the US and other countries failed to resolve the crisis.

Ashton also said that the EU had “worked on ideas to try and have confidence-building measures with the different groups in Egypt, across the political spectrum, and to try and help support a political solution.”

“We remain ready to offer our support to achieve that, not interference, support,” she added.

Egypt has been experiencing unrelenting violence since the army toppled Morsi, suspended the constitution and dissolved the parliament.

More than 900 people, including nearly 100 soldiers and police, have died in clashes across Egypt since August 14, when the interim Egyptian government launched a brutal crackdown on thousands of peaceful protesters demanding the reinstatement of deposed president.

SAB/PR

…read more

Republished from: Press TV