Egypt’s ElBaradei summoned to court

Former Egyptian Vice President Mohamed ElBaradei has been sued for resigning during the recent unrest in his country.

According to Reuters, the case was brought against the former vice president over his Å“betrayal of trust” by a law professor.

“I raised a case against Dr. ElBaradei. He was appointed in his capacity as a representative of the [National Salvation Front] NSF and the majority of the people who signed the Tamarod declaration,” Sayyed Ateeq, a law professor at the countryâ„¢s Helwan University said.

A hearing has been scheduled to take place on September 19.

Ateeq also said that ElBaradei could face up to three years in prison if found guilty. However, judicial sources say that the most he could face would be a fine and a suspended jail term.

Egypt has been experiencing unrelenting violence since July 3, when the army toppled President Mohamed Morsi, the first democratically elected Egyptian head of state, and suspended the constitution and dissolved the parliament.

The army also appointed the head of the Supreme Constitutional Court, Adly Mahmoud Mansour, as the new interim president.

Since then, more than 900 people, mostly the supporters of Morsi, have been killed in the violence. Many others have also been injured.

On August 14, ElBaradei announced his resignation following the Egyptian armyâ„¢s violent crackdown on protesters supporting ousted Morsi.

Å“It has become difficult for me to continue bearing responsibility for decisions that I do not agree with and whose consequences I fear. I cannot bear the responsibility for one drop of blood,” ElBaradei said in a letter to the interim president following his resignation announcement.

According to Egypt’s Ahram online, ElBaradei is currently in Austria with his family.

Although the government in Egypt has been facing international condemnation over the killing of protesters, countries such as Saudi Arabia have been supporting the Egyptian army.

SZH/PR

…read more

Republished from: Press TV