Egyptian interim President Adly Mansour says his government is going ahead with election plans scheduled for next year, shortly after a number of Muslim Brotherhood members were sentenced to life in prison.
“We will commit to the timetable in all the other stages,” Mansour said during an interview aired on state television on Tuesday.
The interim president said that parliamentary elections will be held in early 2014, with the presidential vote following.
He added that the countryâ„¢s state of emergency, put in place following the ouster of former Egyptian President Mohamed Morsi in July, would also be lifted this month.
“If security continues to gradually improve, I think there is no need to extend the state of emergency,” Mansour said.
This is while Mansour has already appointed a constitutional committee set to amend the charter, which was suspended after Morsi was ousted.
On September 3, an Egyptian military court sentenced 11 Muslim Brotherhood members to life in prison on charges of Å“shooting and adopting violent means” against the army in the port city of Suez on August 14.
Five-year sentences were also handed down to 45 other MB members. Eight others were acquitted.
On July 3, the head of the Egyptian armed forces, General Abdel-Fattah al-Sisi, pushed aside Morsi and declared that the head of the Supreme Constitutional Court, Adly Mansour, had been appointed as the new interim president of Egypt.
The government of army-appointed Mansour has launched a bloody crackdown on Morsi supporters and arrested more than 2,000 Brotherhood members, including the partyâ„¢s supreme leader, Mohamed Badie, who was detained on August 20.
Hundreds of people were killed in the violence following Morsi’s ouster.
Republished from: Press TV