US soldiers carry a wounded comrade near Baraki Barak base in Logar Province, Afghanistan, October 13, 2012.
Afghan officials say at least two US soldiers have been injured in a bomb attack by the Taliban in Afghanistan’s northeastern Kapisa Province, Press TV reports.
Afghan officials said on Tuesday that the Monday night car bomb attack, which targeted a convoy of US Special Forces, also left an Afghan civilian dead.
However, the Taliban militants claimed that 14 US troopers had lost their lives and two US tanks had been destroyed in the attack.
Maj. Bryan Woods, a spokesman for the US-led NATO forces, also confirmed the attack, but said that there have been no casualties among the foreign soldiers.
On May 9, Afghan President Hamid Karzai said Washington had demanded to keep nine military bases across war-torn Afghanistan after the withdrawal of US-led troops from the war-torn country in 2014.
Following Karzaiâ„¢s announcement, the Taliban militant group said that the United States was seeking a permanent occupation of Afghanistan and that the group would not allow the US and its allies to have such a presence in the country.
On Monday, three Georgian soldiers enlisted by the International Security Assistance Force (ISAF) were killed in an attack on their base in southern Afghanistan.
A few weeks earlier, the Taliban threatened to intensify their attacks against foreign forces in Afghanistan.
The increasing number of military casualties in Afghanistan has caused widespread anger in the US and other NATO member states, undermining public support for the Afghan war.
According to the latest figures released by the website icasualties.org, 3303 foreign soldiers have been killed in Afghanistan since the US-led war began in 2001. Nearly 60 of them were killed in 2013.
The US-led war in Afghanistan removed the Taliban from power, but insecurity continues to rise across Afghanistan, despite the presence of about many US-led troops there.
This article originally appeared on : Press TV